The Southwest Gwinnett Chamber (SWGC) held its February 2023 First Friday breakfast at the Hilton in Peachtree Corners, the organization’s signature monthly networking event drawing local business professionals.
SWGC Board Member William Corbin presented a Character Award to Greater Atlanta Christian School’s (GACS) Evelyn Logan. The award was created to recognize outstanding students whose attitudes and actions embody the organization’s mission, passion, and commitment to excellence and community action.
“Evelyn is genuinely one of the most caring and service-oriented students in our Senior class.,” said High School Principal Shane Woodward. “Evelyn has rebooted the Student Newsletter and has managed her peer committee exceedingly well. She is everything we want a GAC student to be. Spiritually deep, actively engaged in serving others, and phenomenal as a student.”
Additionally, she is the Captain of the Basketball Cheer Squad and leads the Publicity Committee at the school. She has continually met with High School Administration to advocate for her peers or to start new student initiatives where she has felt there were gaps.
At the presentation, Evelyn was joined by her parents, Evelyn and Guy Logan, GACS deans, Dr. Crystal Downs and Ms. Ali Weller, along with Margie Asef, GACS Director of Community Relations.
The SWGC is honored to have recognized Evelyn Logan in front of local community and business leaders.
About the Character Award
The Southwest Gwinnett Chamber looks to recognize outstanding area high school students whose attitudes and actions embody the chamber’s mission, passion, and commitment to excellence and community action. School administrators from each area high school select one student to be recognized at a chamber event and presented with an award.
The award celebrates a student’s outstanding character, with a special focus on the following characteristics at home and in his or her community:
- Respect: listens to others, appreciates differences, can state opinions without denigrating those of others
- Citizenship: observes rules, does their fair share, is respectful of authority at home, school and the community
- Caring: takes time to extend themselves to others, acknowledges the feelings of others, treats everyone fairly without regard for their gain or loss of social standing.
- Trustworthiness: truthful, sincere, honest, stands up for their beliefs, does not spread rumors, returns what is borrowed, keeps promises
- Justice/Fairness: treats everyone with equal respect and fairness, does not take advantage of others’ mistakes or shortcomings, takes only their fair share, waits for their turn
- Responsibility: thinks before acting, accepts consequences of decisions (no excuses), tries hard and does not quit.